19 February 2007

A lot of luck to go around.



So here I am! Landed and happy and full of... sleepiness, I guess. For the moment at least. Flights were good. I was upgraded to business class on the Hong Kong-Saigon leg, which was heavenly. I've never flown above economy! It's a whole different experience.

Slept on and off during the travel and last night, but managed to go all day today without a nap! Triumph! My room is air-conditioned, plain, without a trace of hot water, but a dream to return to after the chaos of city center. I love my own space, I do I do.

Things I forgot to pack: a watch, a knife. I woke up in the middle of the night hearing noises, unable to sort myself out, completely lost without the time. I missed both at that moment.

The Tet celebrations have been incredible. The dragons above and below have made the day STUNNING really. Young men, dancing all morning through the hotel. Bringing Luck to all of us.


The parades! The decorations! The celebration is chaotic and beautiful here. Artistry, history, touristy ;-)

Pinwheels

Town was slow and nice until around 5pm when the day cooled down and the crowds thickened like pudding. It was palpable. I spent the day with Anna and Flora, two kind-hearted British retirees. We had lunch and dinner, walking through flowered streets and a sea of motorbikes. We were flattened on a ferry ride across what we assumed was the Mekong river. We bought postcards. We laughed.

I have to say, I love my shaven head. It's the most liberated I've ever felt. Freedom from convention and comparison, in a strange but logical way. I understand the religious side of it, now that I'm here. It draws smiles, I think.


Now I'm exhausted. I can't remember when Thich Nhat Hanh arrives. Tomorrow, Tuesday? I've lived through Sunday. I think.



Until Next Time, Miss Saigon!

ps: Videos I shot of dragon dances here.

No comments: