01 October 2004

Once you are Real

Hello my dears, my faraway loved ones.

I assume that all is arriving, and passing well.

As is true of me.

But the end of this week has been a hard one. I will tell you plainly, it is not easy as of late. It becomes harder to excuse my numerous grammatical errors within my adjustment period. I don’t feel like I’m improving at the speed they expect us to be. By December, all of the teachers will stop writing on the board, and expect us to take notes from lectures alone. I know I’m not even three weeks in yet, and that’s a good three months away, but there are so many words I do not know. I learn at least ten every day, and then promptly forget them.

But worse than this is the fact that it is easy not to speak French. In classes, of course, it’s necessary. And during dinner, or when I’m having a conversation with my host mother. But at school, we all speak English with each other. And whenever we go out, it is always together. This past weekend, since my friend Grace came with her family, she and I spent most of the time together, speaking English. At lunch, in between classes, after school, on the phone. We all speak English. And how can that be right? When I’m not interacting with my family or doing my French homework, I’m writing or reading or listening to music, usually a combination of all three, and that is of course in English. It’s all in English!

When I first got here, it seemed like French was everywhere. Now, I realize how easy it is to avoid it. And it’s crazy, because half the time my head is pounding as I’m trying to materialize the foreign words from the empty space that was once my brain, and the other half of the time, I can barely believe that I need the language at all. It’s a paradox, one that never ceases to leave me exhausted, and frustrated, and lonely. It’s like I don’t belong in any language right now.

So, in order to accelerate my growth, I spent most of the evening in front of the television, and avoided all of the channels with American music (there are two, one of which is MTV, and that’s all stuff from the USA. They have a show called “Top Ten USA.” Would we ever watch “Top Ten Europe” or “Top Ten Australia” or “Top Ten Borneo” at home? I don’t think so… Why do they have all this stuff? It’s all in English!) and English movies, and managed to get in an episode of French friends (which is butchered but still comforting, by the way), and then I watched a French-dubbed version of Forrest Gump.

I love Forrest Gump, and I knew it well enough that I could understand almost every line. It was like an out of body experience.

So that was my evening, and I feel like it was at least immersive, right?

What else is there? Bah oui, things have been hard lately. I get homesick at the worst times, like during classes or in the cafeteria or during dinner. It’s crazy, not knowing where it’s safe to let yourself go. Here, I’m always on guard, trying to be on my best behavior, or something like that. You can’t show your cracks, this far from home.

And I don’t think my sister likes me very much. She doesn’t like the attention her family has to give to me. So we don’t really talk anymore.

But classes are good, I’ve been doing well on tests and things.

And I like biking everywhere.

And my friend Evie and I are planning a bike trip, for the end of February, or March. A real bike trip, with hostel stops and everything. It’s a long way off, and there are a million things to get approved, but a lot of students travel this way, when they’re here. I think we want to go to Rouen. It should be amazing.

And tomorrow, instead of school, we’re going on a trip to the Northern Coast, and staying overnight. It’s a bonding thing. I don’t know what it’s going to entail, but I’m always up for travel in France.

I’m sorry this was not a happy entry.

But I miss you and I love you and I’m sure there will be beautiful things to say about La Manche.

Until Next Time, "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."- Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit

(I miss that book so much.)

PS: If anyone wants to fill me in on the debates and how the election is going, feel free.

COUNTDOWN to return: 244 days

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debates:

As per usual, they both kept repeating the same things over and over again. The debates were well-monitored and the questions, although good and informative seemed to all be about foreign policy. They slipped homeland security in there a tiny bit, but foreign policy appears to be the major issue for this election, which I suppose is necessary. Kerry kept accusing Bush of making the wrong decision to go into Iraq and said that Bush had no plan for victory, especially after all of the misleading things he's promised us. Getting out within a year? Well, look where we are now. Anyway, Bush seemed like he was only allowed to say a few things, because, I assume, were he allowed to give his opinion, he would look even stupider than he already did and he would for sure lose the election. Basically, he kept pounding in that Kerry was inconsistent and that a man who sends "mixed messages" could never be a world leader. He has a point, if you believe that. Kerry, however, kept countering all of Bush's evidence and Bush repeated the same phrases i.e. "mixed messages," "inconsistency," "wrong war, wrong time, wrong place" about a hundred times. Or so it seemed. Kerry, fortunately, appeared strong and cool, like a good leader, if not quite as slick as one would have hoped. At least not as slick as Clinton. I believed Kerry, but then again, I'm biased. Here's a snippet of a conversation I had with my friend Henry from Texas while watching the debates. Bush said he admired Kerry's 20 years in the Senate, although then accused him of something ridiculous.

teddykent42: you damn well better admire his twenty years as a senator. that's longer than you've been in politics
miller3624: or been off coke

So, there. If you want more, go here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6123725/?GT1=5100

In other news, I miss you. I love you. I think about you all the time. I mean it. Yours, ~Hannah

Anonymous said...

madeline my dear,
i know exactly how you feel. i know i was only in italy for 3 weeks but there were definitely some scarlett johansson days, just like i said in my livejournal. and it gets this way at college too. but it must be really rough combining the distance of europe with the length of a school year. and i know what you mean about the language thing, too. it was so tempting (and easy) to just talk to francesca in english all the time. i could have had her translate everything if i wanted her to. but you learn an amazing amount just by listening. and even though some french speakers may think they're doing you a favor by trying to speak with you in english, it's so much better if you just try to speak with them in french because that's when you learn the most. as im sure you've already noticed, they'll correct you as needed in a friendly way. for the first 2 weeks in italy, i didnt really speak directly to the italians in italian because i was nervous about how little i knew, and manuela, antonella tried to speak to me in their limited english and even french, but i didnt even start to get better at italian until i met mattia and he refused to let me speak english. ("siamo in italia, devi parlare italiano.") it was funny and frustrating at first but it was what helped me the most.
i know it's lonely sometimes, but you know we're all still here and we love you. i would love to talk to you soon but there are some things i dont want to post here... would you be able to respond to an email or would it just be better to send a real letter even though it will take longer? either way we will be in touch. email me any time at lkachurek@hotmail.com or my new school address, lkachure@students.depaul.edu (that's right, they cut off the second "k"). my hawken account finally got deactivated. but anyway. love you tons. baci!
*laura*