26 November 2004

Happy Turkey Day

Have any of you seen Addam's Family Values? Wednesday and Pugsly get sent to a WASP overnight camp somewhere in Vermont for a month or two over the summer so an evil woman can marry and murder their dear Uncle Fester. And the theatrical production of the summer is a musical interpretation of The First Thanksgiving, in which Wednesday plays Pocohantas, and Pugsly is the turkey. And they dance around and pretend to be truly involved for the first five minutes or so, until they set the set on fire, and wreak general havoc.

It's a true American classic.

But right now I have the image in my head of that silly little boy in a turkey costume, dancing around all these lighted buildings, and it's making me laugh.

I'd set fire to something if I could.

Except that I hate fire.

But you know what I mean.

At the moment, I would kill for some quality mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. What is the country thinking? Who on earth doesn't want to celebrate the settlement of America? What are they DOING over here???

I have elected not to imitate the holiday for my family, because making turkey all alone seems so sad. And it wouldn't be the same. And I suddenly know why everyone hates to be away around the holidays.

But, still, it's a beautiful day today. Honestly, it's crisp and sunny and clear, the kind that makes your cheeks rosy and your ears cold and the sun gleams, a true glow, the kind people write sonnets about, metaphors for someone's toothy smile or the birhgtness of the future. Today is an inspiring day.

And last night I watched Love Actually, and that movie is so good. It's just so good.

And the night before that I watched Shakespeare in Love. Which is even better.

But right now, I hope that you are warm and well-fed and happy and home, safe, tucked in tight under the covers, and sipping hot chocolate as the first chirstmas decorations are drawn from the closets, dusty and musty, and ready for a new year.

I'm ready for a new year.

I miss you.

Until Next Time,
- Into the night we shine
Lighting the way we glide by
Catch me if I get too high
When I come down
I'll be coming home next year

I'm in the sky tonight
There I can keep by your side
Watching the whole world wind around and round
I'll be coming home next year -
:: Foo Fighters

COUNTDOWN to return: 188 days

No comments: