16 September 2004

St. Malo

Right now I’m listening to them talk about the American election on the French radio. Quite an experience let me tell you. I can only capture every other word or so (the vocabulary on the radio is astounding), but I can tell you that they’re about a heartbeat away from making “I LUV John Kerry” tee-shirts. Or, no, how about “Mrs. Kerry." I think they'd sell.

We went to St. Malo today. It’s a little fishing town about an hour north of Rennes. During the Second World War, it was completely leveled by bombs and napalm (it was the first place in the world that they used it), but they re-built it just as it was before to preserve the historic significance. So it’s al little trippy to think that everything around you is ancient and beautifully resilient, when in reality it’s just an imitation of what once was.

I don’t know if it makes me nostalgic or angry. Peut-etre, les deux.

Ah, a break pour le diner, et je suis retournee. I had mussels, guys! And fish!!! I’m a big girl now, trying new things and what not. Who knew I could handle a whole piece of mackerel. But it was perfect. The whole time, I had Doty’s “A Display of Mackerel” in my head “…it is the price of gleaming…” and that made it all somehow worthwhile. Go read Mark Doty, right now! En francais, si tu peux. Mais non. But yes, I ate fish, an dit wasn't good, but if you don't look a tit while you take the bites, it sort of blends into the background. Plus, there was cheese.

Well, that’s all. I won’t publish this until tomorrow, because I’ll have to wait until I can take my disc to school, but until then, I love you and goodnight.

I’m tired.

Until Next Time, il faut que je fasse.

COUNTDOWN to return: 260 days


LATER: So I've been looking into stuff with AP lit. Things are looking up.

And everything here smells funny.

But yay for the first real day of classes. I'm learning french!

I love you!

No comments: